Overview

• How does BGST's training differ from other theological schools?

BGST's vision is that all Christians will become ambassadors for Christ in wherever He calls them: at the workplace, in church and also the communities they engage in. Whether they are engineers, teachers, bankers, artists and so on. All have a role to play to be God’s salt and light in the world. BGST’s goal is to provide theological training to equip Christians theologically, spiritually and in ministry skills so that they can apply and communicate their faith winsomely in their diverse work contexts.

• What is so unique about BGST's training?

Every BGST programme and course emphases 3 pillars of formation: Theological, Spiritual and Ministry Skills Formation.

Under Theological Formation, students learn the basics of the Christian faith - from biblical studies, church history to systematic theology.

Under Spiritual Formation, students acquire both the theoretical framework and practices for developing a Christ-centre Spirituality which they can apply at work, church and society.

Under Ministry Skills Formation, students develop the skills to communicate, dialogue and engage others winsomely.

• How does BGST equip Christians for the marketplace?

Besides theological, spiritual and ministry skills formation, we also weave Integrative Studies, and Marketplace Ministry reflections into every BGST course and programme. This integrative approach helps our students explore how the Gospel matters in these different spheres.

These reflections will broaden as our students’ progress from the Graduate Certificate to Master level programmes, extending from how the Gospel transforms our personal lives to how it affects our workplaces, industries, and the societies we live in.

Programmes

• When do your programmes begin?

Our academic year begins in July. You can sign up for a programme anytime. If you are a new student to BGST, we encourage you to take up 1 to 2 (live) courses before you commit to a programme study. Please see our latest semestral AY2023-S1 Course Schedule. For courses not reflected in the Course Schedule, please write to us on planning for your studies.

• Can I purchase a programme to start immediately? Can I join a programme anytime?

You may sign up for a programme anytime. We encourage students to sign up for 1 to 2 courses related to their programme of interest before signing up for a programme.

Students without a bachelor’s degree are required to sign up for 1 -2 courses for us to assess whether you are able to start with the Graduate Certificate.

Students are encouraged to sign up either for the Graduate Certificate Programmes, i.e., GCSF, GCBS, GCTS, or Graduate Diploma Programmes, i.e., GDCS, DipTS, first, before upgrading to the Master Programme.

• When can I apply to be admitted into a programme?

You may apply to be admitted to a programme anytime. You will be accessed whether you are eligible to take up a programme with us. We recommend students to take up 1-2 courses for a semester before applying for a programme.

• What qualifications do applicants require?

Please refer to the minimum qualifications and admission requisites of the programme you are interested in on our Programmes page.

• I am a relatively new Christian. Can I apply for programme study as long as I am able to provide a referral?

Yes. We require you to provide 2 referral letters from 2 referees as part of the application review process. These should be a leader from your church (preferably your pastor) and a friend who knows you well.

• Is it mandatory for international students to take a TOEFL/IELTS test?

TOEFL/IELTS test scores provide us an understanding of your English proficiency. If you do not have either of these scores, we may consider your English proficiency by way of your (1) sending us a copy of your degree (if it is an English, American or Canadian degree), or (2) sending us something you have written, e.g., an essay on a humanities or theological subject, or an article.

• How are the personal and spiritual aspects of a programme applicant considered?

The personal and spiritual aspects are considered through: (1) Your personal statement essay that will be 1-2 pages long, that outlines your spiritual journey, and (2) Reference letters from 2 of your referees. This will help us understand your spiritual life and ministry involvement.

• Will I be able to cope with the programme study while working?

The majority of our students are working adults. We encourage you to do a 1.5 or 3-credit course for 1 semester as a start, to understand how much time you would be able to commit before applying for a programme study. We recommend HE101 or CS101 which are some of the easier courses to start with. Find out more about these courses here.

• How many courses would you recommend to a student who is working full time and has various commitments?

We recommend new students to try out 1-2 courses for a semester first, before committing to more, or applying for any programme. This would help you get a sense of the time you can commit to our courses. You may adjust your pace accordingly.

• How long does it take to complete a programme?

Depending on the programme, your availability and commitment, the time taken for completion can vary from 1-3 years (full-time) or 2-8 years (part-time). The maximum period for completion can be found in each programme description.

• Are there any exams for the programmes or courses?

We have exams for biblical language courses only. While there are no exams for all other courses, we require assignments to be submitted. Typically, these are essays, book reviews, reflection papers or project presentations. Please see the sample synopsis on assignment submission here. Please see Guidelines for Academic Papers here.

• Can my course credits be transferred to programmes?

All courses taken with grades are transferrable towards BGST’s programme studies.

• Can I receive certification if I attend all the courses in a programme?

If you attend the classes without assignment submissions, you can apply to receive a Certificate for Participation. This would be subject to the student fulfilling a 75% attendance record for each of the courses.

• Do I need to take the required courses for a programme sequentially?

Generally, you will not need to. However, there are some courses that do require you to complete other courses before you can sign up, e.g., CS102, IS101, and the Biblical language courses. Such requirements will be indicated in the pre-requisites of the course that you are interested in.

• I am interested in the GDCS programme. The minimum qualifications listed a bachelor degree or a BGST Graduate Certificate. Do I need both or either one?

If you have a basic degree, you can apply directly for the GDCS programme.

• When can I apply for my DipTS studies? How many courses can I do separately before I register for the DipTS Programme?

You may apply for the DipTS programme directly. Alternatively, you may study and collate up to 15 credits from your courses, before you register for the DipTS programme.

• Does obtaining a degree make you a reverend minister?

Many churches require a Master of Divinity as the qualification for becoming a pastor. A pastor, however, needs to be ordained by the church he is ministering in order to become a Rev minister.

• Will the Graduate Certificate in Spiritual Formation (GCSF) qualify me as a Spiritual Director

The GCSF provides basic Spiritual Formation training and does not qualify you as a Spiritual Director. To do so, you will need to seek further advanced training outside of BGST.

Courses

• Do you have the latest Course Schedule? | What is the Course Schedule?

Please see our AY2023-S1 Course Schedule.

• Are all your courses conducted on Zoom?

Most of our live courses are conducted online via Zoom. We are progressively having live on-site courses, like language courses and counselling courses. Please check our AY2023-S1 Course Schedule for details.

• Where are your live classes held?

They are held either online via Zoom, on-site at BGST, or at partner churches. Please see our AY2023-S1 Course Schedule for details.

• Are there many classes conducted after working hours and on weekends?

All our live classes are conducted in the evenings or on weekends. We do so to cater to the majority of our students, who are working adults.

• What is the difference between Live Course and Self-paced Learning (SPL) Course?

Live courses are courses conducted online via zoom or on-site. SPL courses are pre-recorded lessons and available on your course player for your study at your pace after you register. SPL courses have an “-SPL” suffix, e.g., CS101-TSK-AY-SPL.

• Can online Self-paced learning (SPL) courses count towards course credits?

Yes, SPL Courses completed online count towards course credits.

• I may be unable to join in the live sessions due to occasional work travel. Can I do my courses on SPL?

Courses can be done fully on SPL, but you will miss out on the interaction with the lecturer and course-mates. You may consider our live online classes for some of the courses, if your schedule permits even when you’re travelling. Please refer to our AY2023-S1 Course Schedule.

• What are your online, self-study courses? | Do you have a list of SPL courses?

Our online, Self-paced Learning (SPL) courses can be found on our Courses page.

• When can I start my SPL Course?

You may start your SPL course anytime.

• Will my tutor remain the same for my SPL course?

Yes, our staff will let you know who your tutor or grader will be for your course.

• How will my current course be affected in the learning management system migration?

For improved user experience, we have migrated to our new learning management system. It is accessible here. You may preview a short training video. The old system will remain live until Dec 1st, 2022 for students to complete their current courses.

Spiritual Formation

• What kind of Christian spiritual practices are taught?

BGST encourages the study and use of the various means of grace across the broad Christian tradition, including Eastern and Western churches. Just as we read the Christian creeds in light of the Protestant confessions, so we study and adopt Christian spiritual disciplines in light of our Reformed and Evangelical heritage.

• Why are Ignatian spiritual exercises used in the Christian spirituality practicum course (CS102)?

We don’t just use the Ignatian spiritual exercises. We also draw spiritual disciplines from the wider Christian tradition, especially practices which center on praying with Scripture. Ignatius’ spirituality, with its focus on the Gospels, is one such tradition. Its focus on helping urban Christians discern God’s guidance in unknown challenges also resonates with evangelicals.

• Do the spirituality courses (coded with prefix CS) cover spiritual practices of other religions?

No, except where comment is needed. But we do offer other courses, e.g., Asian Religions in the Contemporary Age here

• Are spiritual practices promoted in the so-called “secular” space, for example, mindfulness, taught in the spirituality courses?

No, except where they are compared to similar spiritual practices found in the Christian tradition. Where these have become common practices in the workplace, we will cover them in our marketplace courses.

Administrative

• How do I make payment?

Payment is via credit/debit card.

• Is the cost the same for both online course and live courses?

Yes, the cost is the same.

• Where are your classes held?

Live classes are held either online via Zoom or on-site at BGST. Please see our Course Schedule for details.

• What is the attendance policy? If I have an urgent meeting or am overseas and cannot attend some classes, will there be make-up classes available and will my grade be affected?

Your grade will not be affected as your assignments determine your grades (unless class attendance is factored into your grade – please check your Course Synopsis). However, there will not be make-up classes. We trust that if a student has committed to an evening class in time and money, he / she must have a valid reason for not being able to make it for class. As and when possible, e.g., in a zoom class, the class can be recorded for the students to review.

• What style and formatting should I follow for BGST assignments?

Please see Style and Formatting of Assignments.

• What is the guideline for writing academic papers at BGST?

Please see Guidelines for Academic Papers.

• Are there online databases I can use for my coursework?

Students enrolled online have access to (1) Digital Theological Library (DTL), and (2) Overdrive Digital Library (ODL). When you sign up as an SPL credit student, you will be required to pay the student fee for online students (SF-PCS) to access these digital resources.

• When is the best time to start my digital library membership?

Digital library access, under Educational Resources, is an annual subscription that starts every July 1st and runs from July 1st to Jun 30th the following year. The fees are $150 each year. You can subscribe to it here.

• Can I transfer some of my BGST credits to Regent College, Vancouver?

Yes, several BGST alumni have transferred BGST credits to Regent College in the past. You may transfer up to 50% of the credits required for Regent’s MA, subject to their specific course requirements.

• Can I transfer my credits from other schools to BGST?

We allow credit transfers from some schools. We will need to review your transcripts to determine if your credits are transferable to BGST.

• Is there a number I can call for enquiries?

Please write to [email protected] and we will reply you as soon as we can.

• Is there a number I can call for library matters?